You will need to work in your notebook and complete the following:
- Get all the data collected from the individual who performed your lab and share the data with them that you collected when you completed the lab you performed. You should have two sets of data in your notebook.
- Label all data so you know which experiment it came from (your graphs and your observation)
- Make sure you share a picture of your completed data with me (I have to be able to read it so I can compile all the data so please check your photos and make sure we can see it)
- Read the lab packet you have been given as we will need to write a lab report
- Complete the post lab questions you see below.
POST LAB QUESTIONS
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3)
Store bought vinegar (5% acetic acid solution. HC2H3O2)
Acetic acid+ Sodium bicarbonate-> Sodium Acetate + Carbon dioxide + water
The equation for the reaction is: CH3COOH + NaHCO3 → CH3COONa + CO2 + H2O.
Alka Seltzer is a mixture of sodium bicarbonate, citric acid, and acetyl salicylic acid. The sodium bicarbonate and citric acid are there mainly to create a pleasant tasting fizzy antacid solution.
When water is added, the sodium bicarbonate and citric acid are dissolved, forming aqueous ions which react to yield carbon dioxide, water, and the sodium salt of citric acid (sodium citrate). The pH of the final solution is sufficiently basic to act as a remedy for acid stomach and the aspirin simply dissolves in the water, so it can be consumed more easily so that it can fight headaches or similar types of pain.
Citric acid + Sodium bicarbonate -> Carbon dioxide + water + Sodium citrate
The equation for the reaction is: H3C6H5O7+3NaHCO3 →3CO2 +3H2O+Na3C6H5O7
- What was your hypothesis for this experiment?
- What did each of the reactions have in common?
- What was the gas that was produced?
- Looking at the following chemical equations above. What do you see is similar?
- Which are the reactants?
- Which are the products?
- Which combination of materials used in the lab had the biggest and longest reaction?
- Give three pieces of evidence from your data to support your answer above.
- Indicate a reason for each of the pieces of evidence you wrote in the answer above.