Here are some possible strategies: Coping with loss, stress, anxiety, and even just the daily grind can be taxing on our mental and physical health. Taking care of ourselves is important. Encouraging and practicing coping strategies on a regular basis helps us stay healthy and increases our ability to work through difficult times. Here are some examples of effective coping strategies that could be practiced daily:
· Take three to ten deep cleansing breaths, which slows the nervous system down
· Engage in a favorite hobby or fun activity
· Listen to uplifting and relaxing music, read a book, go to a movie
· Exercise, practice yoga, stretch
· Practice mindfulness (Mind Shift, Headspace, Pacifica, and Happify are great apps)
· Watch Ted Talks on coping with stress, learning about depression, and mindfulness.
· Think about how you have coped with difficulties in the past and remind how could use same coping skills now
· Write a list of people that you can turn to for support
· Journal three things that went well today and do it everyday
· Write a list of things to look forward to
· Focus on personal goals, things going well, things that make you feel good.
We will have a few options as we head into class today.